Pages

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Springtime Vintage birthday box tutorial

Did I mention my father was 85 last month and, on the same day, my sister was 50? What a very special occasion that was! And what a very special present that must have been for my dad - to have his first daughter born on his birthday! Next week, I'll show you the 85th birthday card I made for him but today I thought you might like to see a box I made for my sister.


While my lovely sister is very feminine, she isn't a frilly person so I thought this paper would be lovely for her. I love the way it looks with the roses frame from Four Frames.


It's so easy to colour these stamps directly with markers, stamp them and cut them out with the coordinating Decorative Label punch. I attached the label to the box lid with dimensionals.


Lots of you have asked me how I make my boxes and I've been promising a tutorial, so here it is at last:

The box tutorial:
I started with a 10.5cm x 11.5cm piece of designer paper and an identically sized piece of Crumb Cake card stock.

Here they are! The Crumb Cake card stock is going to become the base of the box.


Score 2cm in from each edge - I'm using my beloved Fiskars trimmer with a scoring blade. Now, you're going to want to make your lid a little bigger than the base...


... so take the designer paper and score in from all four edges a scant millimetre LESS than 2cm. Can you see where I've got the paper?


Okay. It's time to fold all your creases with a bold folder to make them nice and crisp. And when you've done that, you need to make four snips in the base and the lid to create fold-in tabs.


I like to make little indents in my lids with a 3/4" circle punch to make them more comfortable to take off.


To make sure your boxes stay together, I recommend the brilliantly strong Sticky Strip! Put some on the tabs as shown...


... and assemble the box. If anything overlaps, trim it off with sharp paper snips - the Stampin' Up ones have fantastic long, thin, sharp blades and are a brilliant investment at £7.95.


Time for more Sticky Strip! Put some on the lid tabs - and now for the clever bit:


Wrap your lid around the base and stick the tabs at one end down. Then do the same on the other end. Wrapping the lid around the base ensures you get a nice, snug fit every time!


Here we go! All ready to decorate!

I placed my sister's box on another prezzie, wrapped with pink paper in the same design, and tied Certainly Celery grosgrain ribbon round them both. The tag was made with this gorgeous chintzy paper mounted on Crumb Cake card stock, decorated with a jumbo eyelet and stamped with a sentiment from Sincere Salutations. I tied it onto the pile of presents with Crumb Cake seam binding - which is just perfect for tying into floppy bows!


Goodness - what a long post! But I hope you've found this tutorial useful. Do let me know if you use it -and I'd love to see your projects! And don't forget that I can supply any of the items you need to make my designs. Just email me or give me a ring on 01280 820593 - I'm always happy to help.

Thank you for popping in today - I really do appreciate your visits. Three Minute Thursday is back tomorrow if you're looking for fast inspiration, so I'll hope to see you then.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful birthday set Vicky. So pretty and feminine. Thanks for the tutorial on the box.
    Hugs, Victoria ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicky
    Another gorgeous project...love the papers...its all beautiful as always...i have used your Flower Tut for my flowers on my LIM Card hope you don`t mind ...i have given you a plug on my Blog....and guess what we both have 128 followers ...Lol....
    hugs
    sylvie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is SO LOVELY Vicky. Bet your Sis was pleased with it!

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the box Vicky, the paper is beautiful. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful little box. Thank you for the tutorial I'm look forward to making my own one. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip about wrapping the lid around the base for a snug fit, not done that before. Now I know why yours always look so perfect and mine well....don't. C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to receive that pretty pile of pressies - I bet your Sister was thrilled - Jacqueline xx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vicky for your box tutorial very useful and will definitely have a go.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great tutorial Vicky, it always makes pressies that little bit more special if the wrapping is handmade too :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love boxes Vicky and yours are gorgeous. I'd be happy just with the empty boxes!!!
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky sister! A beautiful box even empty. As you know I love 3D items, I have the paper, card, stamps and punch so no excuse not to make one.
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky, That's lovely, the paper is gorgeous and I'm loving the sentiment stamped onto the tag, so pretty together. Glad you had a great celebration:0) xxx
    Thank you for your kind comments, have fun:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this little box! The papers make it really exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And now I'm all caught up. And your email inbox is full. :) (Although, Google has been driving me crazy by signing me in as anonymous all the time... I didn't leave all these comments to be anonymous so had to type in my name and blog address each time!... haha...) Anyway, another gorgeous box made by you. And, once again, you've made me think that I really need to stamp on patterned paper more often... every time I try it just seems too busy to me, but you accomplish it like the pro you are. The tag for the stacked together gift is a perfect example of great stamping on patterned paper. I should be taking notes. :) Hope you have a great weekend and truly enjoy the extra time with your children home on a little school break! Hugs to you! (By the way... lots of stories about the older two this time... what's the youngest guy up to?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this box. Love it and tried it and it is great!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)